Application requirements

You will need a copy of your IRD number and NZ drivers licence in order to complete an on-line application. If you do not have a NZ drivers licence, you can still apply online, however you will be prompted to print out, complete and sign a copy of the PDF application form which you can either fax, FREEpost or scan & email it to us along with a photocopy of either your passport, 18+ Card, NZ firearms licence, international drivers permit or a NZ certificate of identity. See the Contact Us page for contact details.

  • Placeholder 1

    Our friendly staff are here to help!

  • Placeholder 1

    Our Head Office is located in Auckland and we have thousands of clients across NZ.

  • Placeholder 1

    We're passionate about recovering your NZ tax refund.

Who gets a refund?

It is impossible for us to tell whether someone is eligible for an IRD tax refund until we have completed an assessment of your tax position. There are so many factors that can affect the final result.

The IRD will automatically issue an income tax auticalc assessment for salary and wage earners for the most recently completed tax year but we are still able to check this for you. In some cases IR will automatically issue the resulting refund or tax bill. Alternatively, additonal information will be required. IR will not automatically issue assessments for previously unclaimed tax refunds.

Mytaxback aims to get you the biggest possible NZ tax refunds and ensure that you benefit from any of the valuable tax credits that you may be entitled to during one or more of the past 5 years, such as:

Independent Earners Tax Credit – This is a NZ tax credit of up to $520 if you have earned between $24,000 - $48,000 during any of the past 5 years.

Tax deductible expenses – Such as our fee, which also increases the value of your NZ tax refund.

You can enjoy one or more of these tax credits regardless of whether your employer has deducted the correct amount of PAYE from your wages. Of course your IRD refund will be even bigger if your employer has deducted too much tax from your pay.

The great news is we can recover any overpaid taxes for any of the past 5 years. Unfortunately NZ tax legislation won’t allow us to request any refunds that are older than 5 years, which we feel is a little unfair. If you don’t work, or at least haven’t worked prior to 31st March it is less likely that we’ll be able to get an IRD refund for you….but unless you check, you will never know what you’re missing out on.



Our fees

No Tax Refund, NO FEE*!

Our experience, over the past 10 years, indicates that the IRD assessment of your refund eligibility is not always correct. We always aim to get you the biggest possible tax refund. 

For Wage & Salary earners, *No Refund = No fee. However, if you are eligible for atax refund, our low on-line application fee for checking and assessing your income tax refunds is just 11%+gst of the refund amount. Our minimum fee is $20 plus gst.

In addition to the standard fee, if you have received untaxed income, addtional work will be required and the following charges will apply:

If you have received income from a rental property, our minimum fee is $199 to prepare your return.

Brightline Test Property Tax Returns IR833 - Our filing fee is $149

Rideshare (UBER/OLA) & AirBnB Tax Returns - Our low fee is $149

Partnership income - our low fee is $199

If you are required to file an IR3 for any other reason, or you have any schedular expenses to claim, our filing fee is a minimum of $89 plus 11% plus gst of any assessed refund amount.

*If you are required to file an IR3 and this does not result in a refund, we will notify of your obligations and any fees before we take further action.

Fees are payable upon our completimg an assessment of you tax position. Fees may be payable prior to filing of your tax return.

If you delink us as your tax agent after we have checked, assessed or received your tax refund you will still be liable to pay our fee for the service we have provided. Fees are incurred on the day that your application is submitted (or in the case of existing clients on the date that our assessment is undertaken).

If you have not provided us with a valid bank account number and your tax refund is issued by cheque, our cheque processing fee is $5 for each tax refund we issue.
If a cheque is required to be cancelled for any reason, ie you have moved address and failed to notify us, a $30 cheque cancellation fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
We incur an ID verification fee each time you submit an application. Therefore a $3 ID verification fee will be deducted from each refund that we issue to you.

Tax refund facts & tips

We estimate that the NZ Government collects approx $50 billion in taxes each year. Of course, tax is an essential part of any thriving democracy and it pays for essential services like health, education, roading and social welfare etc. Our aim with these NZ tax refund facts and tips is to ensure that you are not contributing more than you need to!

We’re pretty good at what we do!

FACT: Since we started our IRD registered tax agency in 2008, over 200,000 people have asked us to help them get a well earned tax refund. We aim to get you the biggest possible tax refund based on the information that you provide us with during the application process. The biggest single client refund we have recovered was over $52,000.

Tip: If you want the biggest possible refund, simply complete our application form and ensure you answer all the questions as accurately as possible.

What can you claim as a Business Expense?

General Rules:

If you are purchasing something solely for business purposes, then in most instances you can claim the whole cost of the item. 

If you have an expense that is for mixed use (i.e personal and business) then you can only claim the proportion that is used for business (e.g. if you use your mobile phone for both work and personal calls then you can only claim 50% of the phone bill). 

N.B. It's really important that you retain a copy  of a valid receipt or invoice. You will be required store/hold copies of all expenses that you claim for up to 7 years.

Different expenses have different rules on how much tax relief you are entitled, not every item will be 100% tax dedcutible. Read our FAQ section for more information on claiming work related expenses

Tax Codes

FACT: It is the taxpayer’s responsibility to ensure that their employer is using the correct tax code. When starting a new job, you need to indicate to your employer what your tax code should be by filling in an IR330 form. If your circumstances change during employment, you need to inform your employer and complete another IR330 form.

Tip: If your circumstances change, ie you start a new job or forsee any changes to your income, your tax code may need to be changed. If you begin receiving another source of income, have a significant change in your earnings or your family begins receiving working for family tax credits, check again that your tax code is still correct!

Tip: If you start a 2nd job, it is likely that you will need to use a secondary tax code. If you don’t, you could end up with a big tax bill at the end of the year.

Working For Family Tax Credits

FACT: If you have children, depending on your circumstances, Inland Revenue will provide additional financial support in the form of Working For Family Tax Credits. How much money you will get is dependent on a number of factors including the number and age of your children, your total family income and whether or not you are employed. You can choose to receive these additional payments either weekly/fortnightly or as a lump sum at the end of the NZ tax year.

Tip: At the end of the financial year the IRD will assess the payments you have received. If you have received more than your entitlement they may issue you with a tax bill. To avoid this from happening, always overestimate your family’s income for the year. That way you’ll end up with a bigger refund at the end of the year.

Tip: If you have chosen to receive your WFFTC as a lump sum, you need to let IR know if the care arrangements for your children have changed during the year and they will ensure you get the maximum possible refund. Also, let IR know if you’ve had any more children during the past year as you may be eligible for a Parental Tax Credit. You’ll receive a much bigger refund at the end of the year if you choose the lump sum option.

Schedular Payments

FACT: Schedular payments are typically paid to you when you are working as a contractor rather than an employee. You might receive schedular payments if you have done any promotional work, acting or modelling, temp work of any commission based sales work. Schedular payments are usually taxed at a flat rate for example it’s 20% for commission based sales work. If you have received schedular payments you may be able to claim work related tax deductible expenses.

Tip: If you are receiving schedular payments you may be able to claim for work related expenses that were incurred during the period you were receiving schedular payments. In order to claim, make sure you keep all of your receipts and records. 

Tip: If you have been asked by your employer to use a WT tax code, this will be a good indication that you are receiving schedular payments.

Tip: If you plan on claiming any vehicle related expenses you will need to keep a log book to record your mileage when your vehicle has been used for work related and purposes and personal travel.


FACT: If you have made a donation of over $5 to a registered New Zealand Charitable Organisation you may be able to claim a third of this back as a donations rebate. You can only claim donations rebates for the past 4 tax years.

Tip: Keep all of your donations receipts and statements and send them into us at the end of the financial year.

Deductible Expenses

FACT: As an employee there are very few tax deductible expenses that you can claim. However, if you have paid any premiums for loss of income insurance or if you have someone to prepare, assess or check your tax return, we will be able to claim a tax credit for these expenses.

Tip: You can check with the insurance provider as to whether a premium is able to be claimed as a tax deductible expense. Remember to keep the statements so that we can include these in your tax return at the end of the financial year.

Tip: Our processing fees are a tax deductible expense and by including these in your assessment it will increase your NZ tax refund.

Other Income

FACT: If you have received any other form of income over $200 other than wages or salary then you must declare this income and we have to include it in your return.

Tip: The good news is that you may be able to claim any expenses incurred in the generation of this income but will need to provide receipts or statements.

Changes to Property Rules

New Zealand citizens and residents

FACT: When buying, selling or transferring New Zealand property, excluding your main home, you now need to provide your:

  • IRD number
  • taxpayer identification number (TIN) from any overseas countries where you have to pay tax on your worldwide income, if you have one.

Tip: Give this information to  your property lawyer or conveyancer this information. You can also do this by filling in a Land Transfer Tax Statement, which is available on the Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) website. If you’re transferring property that’s in trust, you need to supply the IRD number for the trust. Trustees’ IRD numbers can’t be accepted.

Everyone else

FACT: When buying, selling or transferring property in New Zealand, you now have to provide your:

New Zealand IRD number and
taxpayer identification number (TIN) from any countries where you have to pay tax on your worldwide income.

Tip: Give this information to your property lawyer or conveyancer this information. You can also do this by filling in a Land Transfer Tax Statement, which is available on the Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) website. 

John from Hataitai got $550 tax back!

Want your tax back?

Apply Now